Monday, January 11, 2010

Sports hypnosis

This is a form of coaching and it can also be used by athletes when they want to improve their performance or training.

Hypnosis as a coach
The 2 most important things that you can teach to your athletes is confidence and technique. I mean an athlete with the perfect technique is brilliant but if they have little confidence then they will never win.


Associate positive suggestion with the correct technique

Most coaches use the negative connotation with the wrong technique being used and this becomes a problem with the neuro linguistic programming of the athlete. So what this means is that the athlete is reminded of what they are doing wrong not what they are doing right and this creates a negative reaction to doing that particular move or skill.

Positive example:

I began coaching a squad of boys (gymnastics) and they had been coached with negative suggestion so they where always saying what they could not do. I began highlighting when they did something right and if they did incorrect technique I would not say “wrong” but divert their attention by saying,” just focus on this one thing.” Once they focused on one thing they are usually successful and then I give positive feedback, “great job, perfect, that is so much better,” and they remember the positive experience with that particular move.


A coaches example will rub off on the athletes
This is where self hypnosis comes in and your athletes will begin to use positive association on themselves. I began to see it in my boys after they began to improve. I would give them a program to do and they would make sure that they did it, if a skill became difficult then they would stay positive and say “I can do this” instead of “it’s to hard“.


Constant use of positive persuasion
Make sure that as a coach you constantly use positive association and encourage your athletes to do so. It is especially important when it comes to competition because this is where their confidence has to be at its highest. All I can say is results speak for themselves and that is what I have gotten with this particular technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment